Re: build tools standard

Rodney Dawes wrote:

I agree totally with this. libtool 1.4.3, automake 1.6, and autoconf
2.53 seem to be a good standard to use. Perhaps we should write up a
policy to propose?
Given that a lot of modules are currently using automake-1.4, this will involve upgrading those modules. If we are upgrading them, why not go to the latest versions? The older versions contain known bugs that have been fixed since then.

Automake-1.7.2 offers a number of newer features over 1.6.3, and also a number of bug fixes (it uses the autoconf trace functionality to parse the configure script, which gives much more reliable results). I would also recommend going with the latest version of autoconf.

One other problem with going with the older versions is that it will be more difficult to get help from the autoconf/automake maintainers. The first thing they will do when we ask for help is to ask if the problem occurs in the latest version. We ran into that problem when using automake-1.4, and I don't want to repeat that mistake again for any of my modules.

Lastly, this whole discussion ignores the fact that some modules may in fact require a bug fix or new feature in an updated version of a build tool.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/