Re: Gtk/Gnome release schedules

On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 18:30, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > are you really sure we want to have gnome 2.4 out with the same ugly
> > file selector? :-)
>
> Given the issues covered in this thread, yes, absolutely.

	Uh ? was that based on your (specious) hope that the 'new' file
selector will be a drop-in replacement for the existing file selector,
and thus we can just 'adopt' a new gtk+ release as and when, and
magically get a nicer file selector everywhere ?

	That just isn't going to happen, as Jody said; and here is why:

struct _GtkFileSelection
{
  GtkDialog parent_instance;

  GtkWidget *dir_list;
  GtkWidget *file_list;
  GtkWidget *selection_entry;
  GtkWidget *selection_text;
  GtkWidget *main_vbox;
  GtkWidget *ok_button;
  GtkWidget *cancel_button;
  GtkWidget *help_button;
  GtkWidget *history_pulldown;
  GtkWidget *history_menu;
  GList     *history_list;
  GtkWidget *fileop_dialog;
  GtkWidget *fileop_entry;
  gchar     *fileop_file;
  gpointer   cmpl_state;

  GtkWidget *fileop_c_dir;
  GtkWidget *fileop_del_file;
  GtkWidget *fileop_ren_file;

  GtkWidget *button_area;
  GtkWidget *action_area;

  GPtrArray *selected_names;
  gchar     *last_selected;
};

	Note; not even a (hopeful) "/* private */" anywhere in there.

	If it was based on other considerations - that's just fine.

	Regards,

		Michael.