Re: Fw: ui review

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Christian Meyer wrote:

> From: Christian Meyer <chrisime uni de>
> Subject: Fw: ui review
>
> ups, wrong email...
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 01:02:01 +0100
> From: Christian Meyer <chrisime uni de>
> To: desktop-devel gnome org
> Cc: usability gnome org
> Subject: ui review
>

> dear ui reviewers,
>
> usability persons in charge and developers. gnome 2.2 is
> making nice progress and we are all looking forward to the final day of release
> to satisfy all the happy users with the new gnome. i made a little conclusion
> of some critical aspects about current GUI state within certain gnome
> application. so please allow me to point you to this page to read more about
> it. i'd like to encourage you to read this.
>
> http://www.gnome.org/~chrisime/random/ui/
>
> P.S. ogalaxyo encouraged me to send this email. I wouldn't have done that if
> there wouldn't have been a real reason. The pages he wrote are really
> important.

WRT the toolbars, it gets MUCH worse than what you describe.
I want grip handles on my toolbars and NO text. So I use the control-
center to configure gnome this way.
Then I use a gtk+ apps like pan and balsa. *SIGH*. Best case scenario, I
can configure weither or not I want a grip/text. In most cases, I can't.
Libbonobui suffers from the same crack. Why the hell is there a
bonobo-ui-config-widget? I just told gnome I do NOT want text in my
toolbars. In anjuta I can turn off the text, but it never gets saved.
In evolution, I can't even do that. bonobo-ui-config-widget should just
die, it makes absolutely no sense at all. Why on earth would I want to
configure it in 5 different places, or worse, not be able to configure
it at all and get some settings I do not want stuffed down my throat?

Sorry for the rant, but I think this is a very big consistency problem.

Kind regards,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny