Re: comment about gnome architecture

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 01:11:38PM +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> El vie, 12-12-2003 a las 13:06, Jeff Waugh escribi??:
> > <quote who="Mark McLoughlin">

> > > 	I find that insightful comments are usually short, to the point and
> > > well informed. This one isn't :/
> >
> >  ... and yet this was quite succinct.
>
> Surely there must be a better way to reply to posts that offer valid
> comments ? Surely we haven't all grown old and cynical by default when
> reading each post ?
>
> For one thing, I can only agree that "the bookmark thing" is something
> I'd like to see.  It gets old quite fast trying to move bookmarks from
> machine to machine or upgrade to upgrade when for example RH9 had Galeon
> and FC1 has epiphany and so on.
>
> Should the barrage of unfocused comments being thrown at us really turn
> a blind eye to features users have a right to expect from us given our
> long-term goals ?

I have to agree.  Just because someone's comments are long don't mean
they don't have merit, or a good point.  Personally I have to agree with
the comment.  Something like VB is indeed evil, but giving users a quick
and easy way to write apps was a huge boost to the windows world.  99%
of a simple app could be "written" by clicking and dragging and it gave
users the power to create what was missing.  I remember writing a
picture viewer in a couple of hours years and years ago.

If the commenter was not "well informed" then why weren't they?
Assuming it's not a troll (and I doubt it was), is the information out
there about the interfaces or ease of gnome programming lacking, or just
not available?

Just a thought.

alan

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain