Re: proposal for MIME behavior in GNOME

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 03:01, Julien Olivier wrote:
> > No, you may very well want to open a read-only picture with The Gimp.
> > I think it's The Gimp's responsibility to handle read-only files
> > properly.
> >

> Yes, and if you want to do that, you can simply add GIMP as an handler
> for the "view" action.

Just because the file is read-only does not mean to a user it is not
editable. You may just need to save the file under a new name. (I
realize that one could validly argue that that's a new file and so the
origina; wasn't edited...) The main difference between `viewing' and
`editing' has little to do with the file but mainly with the
application.

We should not be forcing users to add all editing application also as
viewers just to handle the odd read-only file.

Andreas

Andreas
--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences