Re: 2 little politically charged characters

Hi Sergey and desktop-devel,

You’re probably sick of my opinions about gswitchit, but
here’s another one nevertheless. :-)

Something to keep in mind, is that the “2 letters” represent
neither a language, nor a country, nor a region, nor a
script. They simply represent a keyboard layout. Consider
“dvorak” for instance.

Therefore, I think the way it works currently — draw the
name of the layout — is perfectly acceptable. The names are
mostly short. If you want to limit the space occupied, you
could ellipsize like “ca_en...“

For the size of the applet, I recommend you lay out each of
the layout names in a PangoLayout, get the extents, and find
the largest one, at startup. Then that (plus padding) is the
width of the applet. I’d probably center the strings within
the available width. I think it would be acceptable to
repeat this process when the configuration changes.

Noah