2 little politically charged characters

Hi all

Well, with all the heat of 2.4 release (spreading throught the entire
Europe and UK, saving Ireland) - just get a bit of fresh air thinking
about non-relevant little 2.6 problems.

So, there is gswitchit. After some discussions here it was desided that
mostly politically correct default mode for the applet would be to show
a couple of letters to indicate the current layout (sure, with keeping
the ability to show the flags, but this does not matter here). Currently
I am stuck with the problem WHICH 2 letters gswitchit should show. First
I thought about 2 capitalized letters of the country code (ISO
standard). But this would not be politically correct for, say, Indian
states (like Bengali). Then I thought about the 2-letter language code.
This is a bit better - but some layouts are still undistinguisable (like
us,en_US,us_intl,gb).

So I am a bit stuck at this point. Technically, I see no problem with
any solution - but I just don't want to miss. This will go not into
gswitchit but into XFree (through xfree86.xml) - so this should be
well-thought solution.

Just for anyone interested - I attach the full list of layouts in XFree
4.3.0 (don't be afraid, only 370 bytes:). And I would be grateful to get
the list of 2-letter strings for the applet.

Another relevant problem is the applet size. Since 2 letter strings can
have different widths - the applet size will be changing with the layout
changes. This is not a big trouble (the difference is usually a couple
of pixels) - but still a bit of UI unpolishness. Actually, I noticed
same thing in the clock applet - its size changes with the time:)

Any ideas on this would be welcome as well.

--
Sergey
us
en_US
us_intl
al
ar
am
az
by
be
ben
bs
br
bg
mm
ca
ca_enhanced
hr
cz
cz_qwerty
dk
nl
dvorak
ee
ir
fi
fr
fr-latin9
ge_la
ge_ru
de
el
guj
gur
dev
hu
hu_qwerty
is
iu
il
it
jp
kan
la
lt
lt_std
lv
mk
ml
mt
mt_us
mn
no
ogham
ori
pl
pl2
pt
ro
ru
ru_yawerty
se_FI
se_NO
se_SE
sr
si
sk
sk_qwerty
es
se
fr_CH
de_CH
syr
tj
tml
tel
th
tr
tr_f
gb
vn
yu
nec/jp
ie
il_phonetic
sapmi

Description: =?koi8-r?Q?=FC=D4=C1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=DE=C1=D3=D4=D8?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D3=CF=CF=C2=DD=C5=CE=C9=D1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D0=CF=C4=D0=C9=D3=C1=CE=C1?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=C3=C9=C6=D2=CF=D7=CF=CA?= =?koi8-r?Q?_=D0=CF=C4=D0=C9=D3=D8=C0?=