Re: About applications remembering size

Shaun McCance wrote:
: The argument against this case is that, if I resize a window for one
: particular instance, I might not want all my windows that size.  That
: is, my resizing was sort of a one-shot deal.  This is a problem, and
: it's one that will annoy the user from time to time.  But if the app
: doesn't remember position at all, the user is likely to resize every
: window every time.  It's better to annoy the user 1% of the time than
: 100% of the time.

From where you give this 1% ?  Do you made some research?  How big
selection was?  From where you think that this selection was
representable?  From my opinion, percent of annoyed users is bigger.
(100% of my co-workers are annoed by insufficient control over
applications (including application windows) behavior, but this example
is not representable -- all we are developers (but not a gnome
developers)).

About
    "But if the app doesn't remember position at all, the user is likely
    to resize every window every time."

Why you (not you, Shaun McCance, personally, but you as gnome-developers
community) forget about simple solution: give to user a control over
save/don't save behavior?  This solves all problems.  Of course this
requires users with IQ > 0.5 ;-)  But IMO no one with IQ <= 0.5 don't
able to use computers anyway.

--
Andrew W. Nosenko    (awn bcs zp ua)