Re: Killing Views Part 2 - The return of the Usabilty study

Mark Finlay wrote:
> Have you tried the gthumb catalog _directory_ view.
> http://xsu.sf.net/gthumb-view.png - You can browse your pics, and use
> the nautilus zoom widget to zoom in and out.
>
> I think that this is a much better solution. Using custom directory
> views instead of hacking odd zoom features into nautilus.

This is flawed, because that thumbnails part of the gthumb/eog view is
basically a duplication of the normal icon view, and every read-only
type viewer (pictures, PS/PDF, videos, packages, whatever...) would have
to reimplement that part, with its own quirks as usual.

All the infrastructure is there to do a gthumb-like view, which works
for everything: just stick the preview in the side pane (or a specific
preview pane), possibly with a customizable layout. Now, when enabled,
just one click to preview and two clicks to open/edit in a dedicated
app. More intuitive.

	Xav