Re: About applications remembering size

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 08:51, Andrew W. Nosenko wrote:
> Shaun McCance wrote:
> : The argument against this case is that, if I resize a window for one
> : particular instance, I might not want all my windows that size.  That
> : is, my resizing was sort of a one-shot deal.  This is a problem, and
> : it's one that will annoy the user from time to time.  But if the app
> : doesn't remember position at all, the user is likely to resize every
> : window every time.  It's better to annoy the user 1% of the time than
> : 100% of the time.

Gar.  Change "But if the app doesn't remember position at all..." to
"But if the app doesn't remember size at all...".

> >From where you give this 1% ?  Do you made some research?  How big
> selection was?  From where you think that this selection was
> representable?  From my opinion, percent of annoyed users is bigger.

No, this number was made up.  It's more of a figure of speech.  I wasn't
intending to provide exact statistics (nor did I, technically).  I was
simply saying that, if the only two choices are annoying the user often
and annoying the user seldomly, then we should opt for the latter.

> (100% of my co-workers are annoed by insufficient control over
> applications (including application windows) behavior, but this example
> is not representable -- all we are developers (but not a gnome
> developers)).

I don't get it.  Do you not want the application to remember its last
size.  Look at some documentation in Yelp.  Chances are you'll resize
the window, because it's quite small.  I resize Yelp every time I open
it.  That becomes a bit annoying.  But I don't think I'd want Yelp to
remember position.  Let the window manager place it.

> About
>     "But if the app doesn't remember position at all, the user is likely
>     to resize every window every time."
>
> Why you (not you, Shaun McCance, personally, but you as gnome-developers
> community) forget about simple solution: give to user a control over
> save/don't save behavior?  This solves all problems.  Of course this
> requires users with IQ > 0.5 ;-)  But IMO no one with IQ <= 0.5 don't
> able to use computers anyway.

Because it's not a simple solution.  So take Nautilus in spatial mode.
I want the size and position to be remembered for each directory/file
(which they are).  This falls into my One-to-One category in my previous
email.  Are you saying that, on each new directory I go to in Nautilus,
I should have to go to File -> Remember Size and Position?  Or would you
just have a couple of options "Remember size for files and directories"
and "Remember position for files and directories"?

Now I have to go set this setting for each application I use.  That's
rather annoying.  You can't have a single, desktop-wide setting, because
different behavior is needed for different types of programs.  That's
why it was taken out of the window manager in the first place.

--
Shaun