Re: nautilus, gnome-vfs question

On 26 Apr 2003, Edd Dumbill wrote:

> How can I make nautilus display a different name than the basename of a
> URI for a file?  The code that handles .desktop files does this.

Making a .desktop file is one way to do it. Or a .directory file for
directories.

> The reason I ask is that my human readable names in my gnome-vfs module
> aren't guaranteed unique, but I want nautilus to show them rather than
> the unique ones (which are unhelpful hexadecimal strings).

What sort of filesystem is this? I guess you can use .directory files.
However, .directory files are a large performance problem, so they are
only enabled for some specific uri schemes in nautilus. Your scheme would
have to be added.

> Right now I'm faking .desktop files but this doesn't seem entirely
> satisfactory.  Essentially, I want folderish behaviour, but with the
> ability to control the presented filename and icon as with .desktop
> files.

I'm not sure about these sorts of hacks. They will cause all sorts of
problems for users.

If you can't use a unique directory name for instance you're risking
having duplicate filesnames in the same directory. This totally breaks all
known semantics of how filesystems work. This *will* break apps. gnome-vfs
already has far too weak semantics, and for each divergence from
unix/posix semantics gnome-vfs becomes more and more useless.

The bizzare semantics of vfolders and desktop files for instance require
lots of hackery inside Nautilus that no other gnome-vfs using app is gonna
get right. (examples: data changes for a dekstop file => name may change,
copy a file named "foob.ttf" into fonts:// => Get a new file called "Foo
Bold", and no new "foob.ttf" file)

Remeber that vfs folders are not only what is shown in nautilus. It is an
API that applications use. Breaking well known semantics is like breaking
API in a library.

In the pipe-dream future we will be able to set specific icons using
metadata. At the moment you have to do this using one of:
* desktop file
* .directory file
* use a specific mimetype

Although only the mimetype one has any chance of working in apps other
than nautilus, and the .directory one needs small modifications to
nautilus to be enabled too.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a hate-fuelled vegetarian master criminal moving from town to town,
helping folk in trouble. She's a hard-bitten cigar-chomping snake charmer with
a flame-thrower. They fight crime!