Re: nautilus, gnome-vfs question

On Sat, 2003-04-26 at 21:28, Edd Dumbill wrote:
> How can I make nautilus display a different name than the basename of a
> URI for a file?  The code that handles .desktop files does this.
>
> The reason I ask is that my human readable names in my gnome-vfs module
> aren't guaranteed unique, but I want nautilus to show them rather than
> the unique ones (which are unhelpful hexadecimal strings).
>
> Right now I'm faking .desktop files but this doesn't seem entirely
> satisfactory.  Essentially, I want folderish behaviour, but with the
> ability to control the presented filename and icon as with .desktop
> files.

Hey,

I was trying to work this out for themus. There is code in nautilus to
special-case .desktop files; basically you'd have to either:

a) Hack nautilus (messy; you can't special-case everything)
b) Emulate .desktop files
c) Get a proper infrastructure into gnome-vfs (this would be nice)

Of course names that are not unique are a usability problem.

The nice thing about c) is it would be really cool to be able to have,
say, and abiword or pdf document or HTML page display its title in
Nautilus instead of its filename if you wanted, by having some sort of
pluggable way of getting a "title" from a file. It's a lot of work
though, and would need good design and good code. It would take a while.

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>

"A freudian slip is when you say one thing but you mean your mother." -- unknown