Re: XRandR integration patch

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 19:34, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> Here is a first cut at a XRandR integration patch. The UI needs some
> polish, but it seems to work well.

Just a trouble: stretched background image.

I use a 1280x1024 resolution and a stretched 1024x768 image. Choosing
image size as resolution, clicking apply, then use old in question
alert, the image seems tiled, while the desktop prop dialog said it's
stretched.

No troubles using other resolutions.

> Comments?

Yeah. I'm not sure about the UI.

First when I change a preferences I suppose to use it until next change.
So IMHO the "make default resolution on next login" checkbox is unuseful
in the question alert. Same for localhost.localdomain: this shoud be a
gconf[-editor] only option

Second: the timer in question dialog. Something like a progress bar
could be more visible then a little 2[or 1] chars string. Or you can use
a pango markup (<b> <big>), but progressbar is better, IMHO

Third: how exactly I/we should use this capplet? I don't read previous
thread about it, sorry, and I don't need to change resolution, but I
think there are 2 scenarios:
        1. I need to change my _default_ resolution (long period, use
           chosen one for all login)
        2. I need to _quickly_ or _frequently_ change resolution (short
           period, use chosen one until I revert it or logout)

Capplet + (test question alert) is IMHO the best UI for 1, Grandr applet
the best for 2.

So my proposal: merge them in control-center and place a chechbox in
capplet dialog to enable the applet/notification icon[1].

Take a look to glade file: it's more simple and cool :-)

[1] I see somewhere an OSX shot whit similar behavior.
--
Think bigger

			My uncle