Sanity Adding Apps to the Desktop

In the last while there has been a frenzy of discussion about what
new modules to add to the desktop. The two most contraversial have
been Totem and Gaim V's Gossip.

I would beg the powers that be to add neither gaim, gossip nor
totem to the desktop release.

Totem is a great app, and I use it personally right now because
gst-player doesn't work consistenly enough for me. But there
is a really big difference between making that decision on a personal
level and for a whole desktop. If we add Xine now it will be REALLY
hard to remove it when gstreamer is "ready". We all agree that
gstreamer is the way we want to go so I think we should concentrate
on getting it to a usable level.

As for IM, it'd be great to have a client in gnome, but Gaim
is obviously a bad choice, and gossip really doesn't seem mature
enought for inclusion, has it even been offered to the hacker
community for testing yet?

There is a element of survival of the fittest in open source
and I think it's too early to see which IM client will come out on top.
We can't seriously concider adding a client almost none of us have ever
used can we?

What ever happend to patience and doing things the "right way"?
Lets try to have some forsight and wait a while instead of
doing something we might regret later.

--
		 .--= [ MArk Finlay - sisob ] =--.

        [ Gnome User's Board : www.gnomesupport.org/forums ]