Re: GNOME Development Series Addition

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 09:36, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 12:01, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Personally I feel that putting it in the control center would be fine,
> > but I do not see it as an argument against the panel applet. It is kinda
> > like the GNOME Mixer and the GNOME volume applet, for day to day use the
> > volume applet is all you need, and only once and again do you feel the
> > need to open the mixer to adjust stuff.
> >
> > The xrandr applet would be great for just being able to quickly switch
> > resolution.
>
> Well, I see the issue of need - being able to adjust the volume on the
> panel is great if you don't have knobs on your speakers (like I used to
> lack).  Changing resolution... is this something you need to do a lot?

Web developers use this functionality a lot. Different web applications
will target specific screen resolutions that may differ from your normal
"development" resolution.  An example that happened last week is that
our QA person was working on the stylesheets for a new internal
interface. She has a single head system, so she will edit things at her
standard resolution ( like any of us would ) of 1280x1024. She would
then set the resolution to 800x600 to test her changes. Fortunately she
was using windows where the display manager has a little system tray
icon that allows you to basically right click and select the available
resolution.

One might argue that there is no need to do that because you can resize
your browser window to fit the target size.  That's a nice thought, but
you really can't accurately get a feel for the user impact of your
changes unless you are as close to the environment that they will use as
possible.

Just giving thoughts of how changing resolution is used.

Sincerely,

Will LaShell