Re: Awesome new Mozilla roadmap!

On Saturday 05 April 2003 19:24, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
|  On Saturday 05 April 2003 17:08, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > > People still seem to ignore that Mozilla/Phoenix is no project which
|  > > is tied to GNOME development. I bet that the developers care less for
|  > > GNOME HIG compliance and go their own choosen way. I don't like the
|  > > idea that
|  >
|  > I am wondering what is target auditory for Phoenix on Linux (if it is
|  > not GNOME). KDE users have Konqueror, and I doubt someone would switch
|  > from Konq to Phoenix just because o.5 release is out and "it is very
|  > promising".
|
|  I expected to get this kind of answer. No offense but you are making a big
|  mistake in the way you think. The whole Open Source movement doesn't turn
|  around GNOME my friend. Even if it's Open Source, you still have no rights
| to go out and turn every application you find outside into some sort of
| GNOME application. This is already happening and highly offending for me
| and other users outside. You make a lot of 'new friends' if you (and I mean

Disclosure: I am KDE user.
But I am certanly interested to have interoperability between different apps
and Desktops.

| the whole GNOME community by this) continue that way. There are a lot of
| people using Open Source who are not necessarily friends of either KDE or
| GNOME and try to use their System how's best for them. If you now start
| FORCING Phoenix to become a native GNOME application then you will get a
| lot of complaining users.

I downloaded Phoenix 0.5 today, and it has GTK-based scrollbars.
I also see 'gtk' in library names installed.
So, wether we like it or not, but Phoenix already uses GTK.
I don't know about developers plans, though. It can be that GTK is just
temporary solution, or they are working on different frontends, too.

|  And from what I see currently on GNOME is - that many projects are hot for
| a bunch of days and months and then left unmaintained and not really usable
| after that. If I look at the current state of GNOME (and I don't like to
| lie to you) then I have bad feelings about if this task (turning Phoenix
| into GNOME) will not end the same way. And then one day we have a lot of
| half finished stuff laying around on all sorts of places half maintained,
| half usable and whatever. I think it's better to concentrate on GNOME with
| the couple of remaining GNOME developers and make it become usable for
| users and customers, this is already a hard task.

Good idea! :-)