Re: Killing views [Was: Dealing with files in Gnome]

Reinout van Schouwen <reinout cs vu nl>:
> So, why don't we have a printer icon on the desktop? After all we have a
> trashcan and a floppy icon too. In these days where CUPS is ubiquitous,
> that shouldn't pose much of a problem. That way you could drag a arbitrary
> file to the printer icon and let it be printed by whatever app is
> registered to handle that file type. No need to clutter the Nautilus
> toolbar with this.

This way we'll get something like OS/2 had: every app (or every app
should have) an icon that could be dragged around. So you could drag
the file you were typing without (closing the text editor or opening
the file manager) to the printer or to the floppy.

Sadly, that never worked very well, as users always used the Print
option in the File menu.

So, draging stuff around is cool, but the users never expect that
drag'n'drop will work as they think[1]. Using toolbars and buttons and
menus make the action very obvious.

[1] I can point that sometimes, dragin a file will copy it and
sometimes will move it. I know why this happen, but the "Joe Average"
user don't.
Julio 'slow' Biason  -   ICQ: 10476303   -  http://cscience.org/~slow
Linux nienna 2.4.20 #2 Sat Mar 29 12:07:34 BRT 2003 i686 unknown
 16:25:32  up 1 day, 19:44,  1 user,  load average: 0.23, 0.62, 0.77