Re: metacity, vte

On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 12:35, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Mikael,
>
> On Mon, 2002-09-23 at 09:17, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> > As for VTE, I've been using it for several months and it works like a
> > charm. I really think we should switch to it now and if performance
> > needs to be improved we have what's left of this year to fix it before
> > GNOME 2.2.
>
> 	Seriously !? you've been using it for several months ? I find that
> amazing, since it's unusably slow for me [ without the very recent HEAD
> fixes ], it's also un-responsive.

Not here ! It really could benefit from perf improvements, but
unresponsive is really far from the truth.

> 	Can you verify that running 'yes' is un-interuptable ?

Ctrl-C works like a charm.

> I'd also be
> interested to see the results of a 'top', while you're compiling a load
> of small files - my vte was ~1/2 the CPU time re-rendering [vs. the
> compile].

It depends on the size of your gnome-terminal

> 	Hmm,

FYI :
- I'm using latest snaps from Ximian (far from being up to date !)
- My box is powered by an antediluvian p3 500
- Maybe, my video card helps a lot, it's a geforce2 w/ nvidia drivers
render extension, I don't know...

More over, libzvt has always been a pain w/ vim, and vte makes it work
as intended (i18n, numpad...).

It definitly deserves to be a default as it just works ! Switching back
to zvt would be a regression.

--
Cédric Marcone
MDEO Lyon