Re: fail autogen.sh when aclocal-1.4 fails

Hey,

On 24 Sep 2002, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> > 	A lot of the time auto* non-zero returns *are* non-fatal
> > errors.
>
> Exactly, they're not fatal when they're run. But they cause fatal errors
> later in the building process. My whole point.

	No, they're not always fatal later to the build ..

> > 	Committing this patch would be equivalent to foisting -Werror
> > on the whole stack. At the very least branch a gnome-2-0 branch of
>
> Huh, except that this fix works with all C compilers.

	You can easily foist -Werror only on gcc users - but do you
want to be the one who fixes the build breakage ?

> > gnome-common before committing so that the resulting build breakage is
> > at least only on HEAD.
>
> I don't really see the point here. It's a fairly trivial patch indeed,
> and it does what it should always have done. I have tested quite a few
> modules with it and it works. Anybody who does complete CVS compilations
> fancy testing ?

	Dude. The point here is that by committing this, you're likely
to break the build pretty severly. I've looked at one module that I
maintain and this patch should break it ..

gnome-desktop]$ automake-1.4 --gnu; echo $?
desktop-docs/gnome-feedback/C/Makefile.am:37: variable `entities' not defined
1

	This error doesn't break the build, but with your patch it
would. And I'm sure this isn't the only module ...

	Breaking the build like this might be acceptable on HEAD, but
not on the gnome-2-0 branches. Of course someone could fix all the
problems on all branches before the patch gets committed ..

Good Luck,
Mark.