Re: Progress bar on startup

Sean Middleditch wrote:

This can be done very easily; mozilla/galeon/open-office all use a
method to make their start-up times faster.  they have a
program/applet/daemon that is linked to their libraries.

So, making a gqld (gnome quick load daemon) that is linked against all
major gnome libraries, and starting it somewhere in your init process,
would solve this problem.  A lot of people would want it off for
efficiency reasons if they are rarely in gnome.  Others may want it
running to speed up login.  It will slow down boot up time a bit (if
it's launched into the background, it at least shouldn't cause a big
pause - but boot up will still be slowed).
This is the sort of behaviour that I'm talking about. I think that once a user is greeted with the GDM that they shouldn't have to wait for Gnome to load. Obviously when someone starts their machine to an X environment they are most likely to be using Gnome. Perhaps some sort of *easy* way for a user to decide whether or not they want to "pre-load" gnome on boot? If they are starting init 5, then preload, otherwise dont preload?