Re: Progress bar on startup

On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 20:54, Damien Covey wrote:
> Well, I have another take on the subject.  Why dont we just do away with
> the need for any sort of progress indicator.  I mean should we focus our
> efforts on making Gnome start up so quickly that there is simply no need
> for a progress indicator?  Excuse me if I'm dreaming or on the wrong
> planet, but I think that having Gnome start within a couple of seconds
> would me much more user friendly that watching some progress indicator.

There should still be a splash screen of some kind.  It is, simply, a
nice "just in case" measure so the user doesn't wonder if the machine
has frozen.

>  Oh course I dont really have any technical knowledge of how such an
> increase in startup time could be achieved, however I do have one
> *possible* suggestion.
>
> Why cant we start to load Gnome whilst the user is at the login screen?
>  That is of course only if Gnome was the default login.  There will be I
> know many reasons why we cant do this or why it will be difficult, but I
> know that I would appreciate any startup icrease that I can have.

This can be done very easily; mozilla/galeon/open-office all use a
method to make their start-up times faster.  they have a
program/applet/daemon that is linked to their libraries.

So, making a gqld (gnome quick load daemon) that is linked against all
major gnome libraries, and starting it somewhere in your init process,
would solve this problem.  A lot of people would want it off for
efficiency reasons if they are rarely in gnome.  Others may want it
running to speed up login.  It will slow down boot up time a bit (if
it's launched into the background, it at least shouldn't cause a big
pause - but boot up will still be slowed).