Re: very rough pre-gep tentative new modules list

> 	b) To mandate a minimum 'Gnome Desktop'

> 	b) A good idea - but if this is the case, we're foisting a massive
>          burden on companies in terms of long term support - a
> 	   can't just pop stuff in and out. Package addition should be a
> 	   very well thought out process.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, this really isn't an issue at
all. Companies can just as easily pop stuff in and out as they please -
I know Sun, for one, has done this - and I'm pretty sure RedHat do this
too.

> 	c) Pushing unstable stuff in to get people to work on it seems
> 	   like an extremely daft strategy.

Well, it would be good to have some way of publically pushing a given
application so that it gets exposure - and hopefully an interested set
of people to start working on it to bring it up to a standard that we'd
be happy with.

> 	d) We can claim that Gnome has a feature XYZ anyway

Let's not go down the bluff path please....it doesn't really do us any
good ;)

> 	And of course, from that flows "should we be pushing random stuff into
> it temporarily instead of agreeing a long term strategy ?".

Long term strategy - I was asked to put together some thoughts [for a
Sun meeting] about what the future for GNOME consisted of. To be
perfectly honest, I had a *very* hard time getting past 2.2 let alone
2.4 for GNOME [Gtk was a little bit easier].

> The purpose of the GEP is to make the decision making process public,
> and open to comment from all. Even if you don't happen to like the
> comments ;-)

I think the GEP could be a potentially useful thing - but when it starts
to delay the decision making, it becomes less than ideal. I'd prefer if
we focused the GEP on 'platform' changing decisions, rather than using
it for 'desktop' related discussions - I believe this will still lead to
common discussion for both parts.

Remember folks, we are only over a month away from GNOME 2.2 Feature
Freeze - we have precious little time to be wasting and getting caught
up in red tape....I can't emphasize this enough.

			See ya,
				Glynn :)