Re: very rough pre-gep tentative new modules list

Glynn Foster wrote:

>> 	b) To mandate a minimum 'Gnome Desktop'
>
>> 	b) A good idea - but if this is the case, we're foisting a massive
>>          burden on companies in terms of long term support - a
>> 	   can't just pop stuff in and out. Package addition should be a
>> 	   very well thought out process.
>
>Unless I'm misunderstanding something, this really isn't an issue at
>all. Companies can just as easily pop stuff in and out as they please -
>I know Sun, for one, has done this - and I'm pretty sure RedHat do this
>too.

Yes, companies like Sun can choose to omit applications from their release.
However, once they include an app in their supported core, they cannot
easily pop it out again or replace it with a different current flavor app.
Having a minimal minimum Gnome Desktop that changes as a result of clear
and long-term planning is a critical issue.

- John