Re: very rough pre-gep tentative new modules list

On 18 Sep 2002, Glynn Foster wrote:

> > The purpose of the GEP is to make the decision making process public,
> > and open to comment from all. Even if you don't happen to like the
> > comments ;-)
>
> I think the GEP could be a potentially useful thing - but when it starts
> to delay the decision making, it becomes less than ideal. I'd prefer if
> we focused the GEP on 'platform' changing decisions, rather than using
> it for 'desktop' related discussions - I believe this will still lead to
> common discussion for both parts.
>
> Remember folks, we are only over a month away from GNOME 2.2 Feature
> Freeze - we have precious little time to be wasting and getting caught
> up in red tape....I can't emphasize this enough.

If we hit the feature freeze with the "wrong" set of programs/features in,
spend time on stabilising them and have subsequently to remove them then
we have not saved time but wasted it. The same applies for longer term
beyond GNOME 2.2 - things that get included should be good for more than
one release, or we are just wasting time on them.

Considering that there isn't a GEP on the desktop additions yet, you can
hardly accuse the GEP process of being red tape and holding back the
inclusions. So instead of emphasizing how close the feature freeze is,
time is much more productively spent on making sure there is a
well-written GEP on the inclusions (whetever libraries or programs).

> 			See ya,
> 				Glynn :)

	Sander

	This is the place where all