Re: pkg-config files & 2.2

Jody Goldberg <jody gnome org> writes:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 09:52:03AM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > Michael Meeks <michael ximian com> writes:
> >
> > > 	So the question is really; is it best to install 2 .pc files: a -2.0
> > > and a -2.2 file ( both essentially the same ), or is it better to just
> > > stick with the -2.0 file (perhaps misleadingly).
> >
> > The .pc filename version is basically just for parallel install, so if
> > you haven't renamed the other files there's no point renaming the .pc
> > file.
>
> The core of the question seems to be 'Do we want 2.2 to be parallel
> installable with 2.0' ?

IMO no, because backward-incompatible changes aren't allowed for
anything that was listed as a "platform library." For things that
weren't "platform libraries," it's fine to just break things with no
way to build against the old platform.

> gnome-print is the only library that I've
> seen thus far making incompatible changes from 2.0 to 2.2.  For
> everything else it is not clear we need it.

We booted gnome-print out of the platform at the last minute just so
it could do this, IIRC.

Havoc