Re: pkg-config files & 2.2

Michael Meeks <michael ximian com> writes:

> 	I was wondering what the pattern for .pc files should be in 2.2; I
> assume that we're going to need eg. a libbonobo-2.2 .pc file ? or were
> we rather over-zealous in our versioning of them ?

Nope, you only need to rename the .pc file if the ABI changes
incompatibly. If people want 2.2 they ask for "libbonobo-2.0 >= 2.2"

> 	So the question is really; is it best to install 2 .pc files: a -2.0
> and a -2.2 file ( both essentially the same ), or is it better to just
> stick with the -2.0 file (perhaps misleadingly).

It's a bit confusing, we maybe should have done "libbonobo-2" without
the ".0", but I wouldn't change it now, would just cause more
confusion.

The .pc filename version is basically just for parallel install, so if
you haven't renamed the other files there's no point renaming the .pc
file.

Havoc