Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.1.1: "Flux Capacitor"

Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> writes:

> <quote who="Owen Taylor"/>
>
> > > My mistake -> libgnomecanvas currently requires pangoft2, which is only
> > > built if you have fontconfig/Xft2 installed.
> >
> > You don't actually need Xft2 for pangoft2, just fontconfig.
>
> It doesn't look like it. I've just tested with fontconfig, without Xft2 ->
> pango finds fontconfig, doesn't find Xft2, finishes up with:
>
>   backends:  FreeType X

FreeType == pangoft2.

(Though as Anders points out, there is the problem of
PANGO_WRAP_WORD_CHAR)

> > I also believe that the rest of GNOME-2.1.x should build OK using
> > pango-1.0.5, if you really can't install fontconfig for some reason.
>
> fontconfig, luckily, is the easy bit. :-) Xft2 is a bit harder without
> XFree86 4.2... Not good for users on other platforms.

It shoudn't be that bad ... on a platform without Render at all,
it should be trivial ... just install libXrender from the fcpackage
library. On an old version of XFree86, you'll have a bit of
juggling to do with multiple Xrender headers / libraries.

(But not really worse than multiple Xft headers / libraries)

Xft2 makes no requirements on Xrender support in the server.

Regards,
                                        Owen