Re: folder vs. directory

On 6 Oct 2002, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> From: Sean Middleditch <elanthis awesomeplay com>
> Subject: Re: folder vs. directory
>
> Well, I actually now am in the habit of calling them 'folders' even in
> console speak - it takes effort to do otherwise. ~,^

This is of course you speaking for yourself ;)

> Also, directory has so many other meanings - especially as it's used in
> ldap (lightweight *directory* access protocol) and MS' Active Directory;

Which (AD) is a terrible name - totally non-descriptive. Why do we need
to change _our_ habbits just because MS calls something a directory any-
way?

> indeed, using 'folder' is less confusing than 'directory' (directory of
> files, directory of names, directory of bookmarks, etc. - to which do
> you refer?).
>
> And then, of course, the usual icon for a 'directory' is a file-folder;
> presenting that image, then using a different name, is confusing.  Just
> calling them folders while presenting them as folders is simpler and
> less confusing.
>
> So, if it helps any, just call them folders even in console land.  ~,^

It's just that you can't. Traditional UNIX terminology is directory:

c_d_
pw_d_
ls -l_d_ .
... _d_rwxr-xr-x ...
mk_dir_
rm_dir_

Try 'apropos directory' for many more.

UNIX history says we don't. So we don't.

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz ULYSSIS Org