Re: My GEP 2 (metatheme) thoughts

On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 04:33, Bill Haneman wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 19:27, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 14:19, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > >
> > > Sorry for the last minute response here; I haven't had
> > > a lot of time recently with GTK+-2.2 work and other stuff.
> > >
> > > First thought -
> > >
> > >  * Themes are about making your desktop look pretty
>
> ???
>
> Themes are about controlling how your desktop looks.
>
> You might want it to look ugly, judging from most of the themes out
> there.
>
> Surely the desktop look includes fonts.  It's fine to have a definition
> of the work "theme" that doesn't include fonts, but I don't think that
> narrow definition of themes is what we are talking about here.
>
> We already have a "Theme" capplet, recently including window manager
> decorations, to cover these 'narrow' aspects of appearance.

Exactly. So lets take the settings already in the theme capplet, and
unify them into a single theme system so people don't have to change 10
things to change the narrow aspects of appearance. That, in my mind, is
what the theme capplet should be; not this gargantuan "meta" settings
capplet that changes all aspects related to appearance (many of which,
like font, affect a hell of a lot more than appearance... like my
ability to read with poor eyesight).

-Seth