Re: My GEP 2 (metatheme) thoughts

OK, I think this is the crux of the disagreement.

Seth seems to be suggesting a rewrite of the existing theme capplet,
to simplify and unify it.  On the other hand I believe that the
GEP-2 is about a new capability, and my intent was not to
replace or supercede the existing theming mechanism, but instead to provide
a new and separate preferences dialog that allows (but does not require)
application and management of collections of appearance settings.

I think refactoring the Theme capplet is a reasonable thing to
consider, but I don't believe that it is the subject of this GEP.  It's
also valid to question this GEP's requirements, or any proposed
solution, but it does not sound to me as though Seth's proposals
(with regard to Theme changes) address this GEP's requirements or intent.

- Bill

>On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 04:33, Bill Haneman wrote:

>> ???
>>
>> Themes are about controlling how your desktop looks.
>>
>> You might want it to look ugly, judging from most of the themes out
>> there.
>>
>> Surely the desktop look includes fonts.  It's fine to have a definition
>> of the work "theme" that doesn't include fonts, but I don't think that
>> narrow definition of themes is what we are talking about here.
>>
>> We already have a "Theme" capplet, recently including window manager
>> decorations, to cover these 'narrow' aspects of appearance.
>
>Exactly. So lets take the settings already in the theme capplet, and
>unify them into a single theme system so people don't have to change 10
>things to change the narrow aspects of appearance. That, in my mind, is
>what the theme capplet should be; not this gargantuan "meta" settings
>capplet that changes all aspects related to appearance (many of which,
>like font, affect a hell of a lot more than appearance... like my
>ability to read with poor eyesight).
>
>-Seth

------
Bill Haneman x19279