Re: lock down features

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 21:33, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> > I find this completely astounding.  This is one of THE largest features
> > required in many large installations such as educational institutions
> > and was discussed many times over the last few years. The standard
> > response, oh yes well wait until GNOME 2.
>
> ... and now that we have the infrastructure, the task of building upon it is
> being discussed.

It's OK Jeff, I'm allowed to be frustrated:-)  But I remember having
this discussion two or three times in the past and from memory GConf was
going to do all this.  I've sort of been waiting and I know that someone
even wrote a GNOME admin document for GNOME 1 about this sort of thing.
I realize there is a lot of work to be done and I also congratulate the
all the people who have put in so much effort to date.  I'm just
surprised that a feature, lets call it an "enterprise" feature for lack
of a better term, such as this is coming in from behind instead of being
a design consideration right from the get go.

Maybe I don't understand GConf completely and the capability is already
there.  I recall GConf going to have the ability for other backends such
as LDAP.  Is that still the case?  I also recall many discussions about
GConf and bonobo-conf back sometime ago, this feature was discussed then
as well.

So I'll continue to try and fight off the people who want that other
desktop and we'll see what happens.

Thanks for your input.