Gnome 2 Anti Aliased Font Question

Hi,

I've decided to try out Gnome 2, so being generally short on time (and
lazy!) I grabbed the Gnome 2 snapshots from ximian.com. These seems to
have installed ok and things are generally working. The only problem is
I cannot get anti aliased fonts to work. I have tried
"export GDK_USE_XFT=1" but this does not seem to work.

Any help would be appreaciated. I have searched and searched...

I run Redhat 7.3 (intel), I had ximian gnome installed and used ximians
snapshots to installed gnome 2.  I've _not_ had anti aliased fonts on
gnome 1.4 (via gtkaa).

Thanks,

Chris.

--