Re: UI/String Review - Day 1

Hello,

Due to work I couldn't be there but I have some comments to add:

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 22:44, Glynn Foster wrote:
>        http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~gfoster/ui-review/ui-review-panel.txt

>        http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~gfoster/ui-review/ui-review-nautilus.txt

Empty Trash Dialog -
================
(...)
Default response should be 'Empty'
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Erms... hello?? :) The most destructive options should NEVER be the
default action!

I think it's pretty clear why :)... remember that recovering files is
pretty hard... so the dialog's only reason to exist is give an ultimate
last option out! Plus, the user can set the option of not showing the
confirm dialog, so that's one more reason to not set the most
destructive option as the default.

Also about nautilus and gnome,

 I think that having "Use Default Background" and "Change Desktop
Background" in the root window context menu is a little unecessary.

  I suggest using:
   |(...)                    |
   +-------------------------+
   |Change Desktop Background| --> desktop background capplet
   |Change Preferences       | --> launch window on 'preferences:'
   +-------------------------+

Rationale:
  * the old first option should be directly accessed through the old
    second option. It is not, currently, but it should be.

  * Enven though this could be said as well of the new layout, changing
    the background seems (IMHO) something more frequent than changing
    desktop settings, thus being relevant to maintain.

  * The second option (maybe the label could/should change) seems like a
    natural contextual option...

I think that this change is a Good Thing. Although the number of choices
doesn't decrease, it gives a direct access to changing preferences, but
probably there's no time for it in 2.0.0... but it's not really so
important, so there's no stress. If the change can still get in, cool,
if not, for 2.0.1.

Hugs, rms

> Everyone felt it was worthwhile to continue this discussion so we will
> be meeting on #ui-review again at 9am GMT, Thursday 16th May.
> Look forward to seeing you there.

Unfourtunately work will prevent me from participating at all :(

Cheers,

+ So let's do it...?