Re: menus, editing, etc.

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 11:34:29PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> I'm worried about how menu editing works. As I read the code, if the
> user edits the menu, they lose all future changes to the system menu.

Only future structural changes to the system menu.  Not additions of apps for
example, since still the system dirs are querried.  I think it is a fairly
rare occurance when sysadmins are changing the system menu structure and
queries on a regular basis.  More likely they are adding/removing applications,
and such changes propagate to the user.

Though yes it would be nice to get a fine grained change set.  But the
current setup was just much simpler to implement :)  Someone needs to sit
down and figure out how finegrained it should be and then actually implement
it.  And implementing this is no walk in the park mind you given my
experience with it.  Getting all the corner cases right is a bitch.

> This seems like something we can't change soon if we ship 2.0 with
> menu editing enabled, though.

I doubt it's such a hot issue anyway.  Plus we can always change this I
think.  Only a very small percentage of users actually edits their menus
anyway.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   In the fight between you and the world, back the world.