Changing Yelp to use GtkHtml1 instead of GtkHtml2

Hi!

This thought have been lingering in my thoughts for a while and now that
GtkHtml1 has been ported to GNOME 2.0 they can be realized.

As where discussed previously on the lists we have two html widgets for
GNOME 2.0. GtkHtml1 and GtkHtml2, Michael Meeks listed a number of prose
and cons:

GtkHTML1                GtkHTML2

editable                not editable
actively maintained     not maintained
no CSS / DOM            CSS / DOM
in-accessible           accessible

The last point (a11y) is being fixed for GtkHtml1. That means the only
reason for keep using GtkHtml2 is to get CSS (which might be important
enough, someone else will have to argue for that).

For me the most important part of the above is the one about maintained
or not. Filing bugs against GtkHtml2 is totally pointless since they
won't be fixed anyway. Radek is working full time on the GNOME 2.0 port
of GtkHtml1 (now fixing a11y) and has said he will help getting it to
run smoothly in Yelp.

GtkHtml1 is also much faster and eats less memory (less then half for
large documents).

So by this mail I am saying that I want to do the switch and have Radek
working on a11y for GtkHtml1, when that is in place we will have a
maintained html widget rather than a half finished unmaintained one.

I know that some people argue that CSS is important for a11y but I want
to ask you guys, is it really not possible doing without CSS?

So unless someone picks up GtkHtml2 and steps up as maintainer for it I
think that the best way to go here is to just use GtkHtml1 instead. (I
already have a version of Yelp that uses it instead so no delay there,
and I tell you, Yelp is *much* snappier with it).

Comments?

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/