Re: A Violent Realisation [Was: Preferences]

Il lun, 2002-04-29 alle 15:10, Miguel de Icaza ha scritto:
> > Miguel de Icaza <miguel ximian com> writes:
[CUT]
> So the goals of the project are different depending who you ask.  You
> have stated your vision.  For example, I think that enabling the open
> source desktop on the enterprise is a good strategy for open source, and
> hence, I am more interested in that scenario, and not too interested in
> providing a desktop for people who `did not like traditional desktop'.
> Maybe they like it, I see no reason why we have to deviate from that.

I am experimenting with linux as a desktop system in the firm I work. I
have two linux desktop right now in a windows/samba environment, and I
hope to have about 20-30 linux desktop by the end of the year. Based on
some user testing I did, I have to choose KDE/openoffice for the
following (very silly) reasons :

- a bit more consistent than gnome (e.g same file selector for every
app, unified printing ui)
- filemanager dive into compressed files
- UI themes recolorable
- OpenOffice recolor itself like with KDE colors
- KDE colors are applied to gtk/gnome apps too.

As you can see these points are really silly, but for the users are
quite important. As you can see most points have to do with ui colors,
consistence in important.

Enabling opensource desktop in the enterprise for the gnome project as a
desktop environment is not an hard task imho, things that blocks gnome
adoption are key application missing, in my case an autocad dwg viewer.
The most problems I have with my two test desktops are related to
terminal emulation for AS400 so making gnome-5250 (which seems an
adbandoned project) work will be a Good Thing (TM) for gnome enterprise
adoption.

I don't really want to start a gnome vs kde thread.

just my 2euro cents.

--
Lapo Calamandrei - l_calamandrei neri-group com
IT Manager