Re: Viewports and gnome 2

<quote who="Ken Witherow">

> Everyone there seems to support viewports over workspaces and the only
> discussion seems to revolve around gnome 2 workspaces aren't viewports and
> that viewports were no longer supported. period. No why... no why
> workspaces were selected instead of viewports. ALL of the meat of the
> discussion was here and it seems that nobody from the gnome 2 developer
> side of things wants to explain it.

Gee dude, read this thread, and the major one from last week. Looots of
explanation. Far too much.

> I'm not applying abuse, I'm getting rather irritated that I seem to be
> getting the same stonewall from everyone on the development side of this.
> "We removed it because we thought it might be too confusing. We don't care
> about implementing the functionality of gnome 1. Get over it... we're
> right because we're the developers and you're a mere user"

*SMACK* You haven't been listening. Again.

Please, go back and read the threads. You'll actually find that most of us
prefer the "features provided by what we used to call viewports". You are
still... *STILL*, after this entire thread, and the comments pointed out in
the *earlier* thread... talking about terminology, and not features.

> Maybe the developers should sit back for a minute and consider whether you
> guys really made the right decision rather than lashing out at those who
> criticize it?

Here's a little blast of reality for you:

  I never used what we called workspaces in 1.x. I used viewports. The
  features provided by viewports seemed to make more sense to me. I would
  like to see these features back in the GNOME 2.0 Desktop.

  Funnily enough, I'm not lambasting or abusing the maintainers and hackers
  who worked on this, because (well, because I'm not a jerk, primarily, but
  we'll skip over that) I know that we're not removing viewports at all,
  that we're combining two silly concepts into one coherent one.

  I'm also patient, not prone to attacking the people who write such
  incredible software for me, and understand the Free Software process.

Funnily enough, the hackers *are* thinking about these issues. It's *you*
doing the lashing out. Calm down, think about how this whole process works,
and don't expect something for nothing.

GNOME is, as always, in very good hands: Those of everyone who cares.

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
      "Are you XFire's crazy girlfriend? And if so, shine on you crazy
                          diamond!" - Paul Cameron