Re: A Violent Realisation [Was: Preferences]

On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 20:08, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms 1407 org> writes:
> > Oh, so now applications must also know the inner works of X, or evolving
> > wm spec's?
> This part of it isn't evolving. And yes apps that want to be "skip
> taskbar" have to tell the window manager they are skip taskbar.  Most
> GTK/Qt apps already set quite a few ICCCM and EWMH hints, this one is
> no different.

Wrong. gkrellm doesn not necessarily want to skip the taskbar.
I really hate it when UI tries to outsmart me.

There are certain apps (or instances of apps) that for some reason I may
want to hide from the task list or window cyclable list.

It is not the job of the apps to know this, that's the job of the window
manager. Saying otherwise is really... weird to say the least?

> > This isn't being set by a gkrellm option, this is something that is
> > being set by sawfish's window menu, and happens ALSO on xterm and your
> > new gnome-terminal.
>
> gnome-terminal is not a skip-taskbar application.

Says you! I may have a give set of gnome-terminals I do not want to show
on the taskbar!

> If Sawfish wants to
> have a feature where you can set something skip taskbar then it's up
> to Sawfish to make that feature work. But personally I think having
> this feature in the window manager is broken; both because EWMH says
> the app not the WM should set the property, and because it makes sense
> for the app to set the property. gkrellm knows it's a "dock" type of
> thing and shouldn't appear in the taskbar, users shouldn't have to
> manually configure that, gkrellm should do it.

So you agree with me that there is a bug either in sawfish2 or the
tasklist.

Having that ability in the window manager is not only not broken, it is
also the only place it should be set, since a window manager is, in
fact, a window manager and we're talking about managing windows, or am I
suddenly insane?

Hugs, rms

+ So let's do it...?