What are viewports? [Re: Viewports and gnome 2 -simple question]

On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 10:53, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Problem with explaining it all is that it's the features that are important,
> not the terminology. We used to have two different ways of having 'virtual
> desktops', but it really doesn't make sense to, when we can combine their
> features into one easily understandable concept.

No, the real problem is:

1. the features where already there.
2. because some decided they where smarter than all users they decided
   they had better understanding of ui than anybody else, so they start
   to make (IMNSHO very) bad decisions
3. now the solutions seems to be to reinvent the wheel as a not so round
wheel:
   Why implement a bidimensional state desktop of only one name when
   you could have a threedimensional state desktop of only one name?
   Wouldn't it be more simple to just rename viewports and workspaces
   to horizontal viewports and vertical viewports than this?

Seems like a terrible waste of time, that even will disappoint faithfull
users.

Some may not know the difference between viewports and workspaces, the
reasons for which I will try to point:
  a. never changed the defaults from their distributions so they don't
even know they where there
  b. never ever used other window managers that provided this
functionality by default to know the difference

How I have my desktop (I'm lazy to make a 6x1x2 so I made a 3x2x2)

      +----+----+----+
     /    /    /    /|
    +----+----+----+ |
   /    /    /    /| |  example of a 3x2x2 desktop
  +----+----+----+ | +
  | |  | |  | |  | |/
  | +--|-+--|-+--|-+
  |/   |/   |/   |/
  +----+----+----+

Current state of afairs:

    +----+
   /    /|
  +----+ |
  | |  | |
  | +--|-|
  |/|  |/|  example of a 1x1x4 worspace
  +----+ |
  | |  | |
  | +--|-+
  |/   |/|
  +----+ |
  | |  | |
  | +--|-+
  |/   |/
  +----+

Proposed behaviour I've heard in this mailing list already:

      +----+----+----+
     /    /    /    /
    +----+----+----+
   /    /    /    /     example of a 3x2 desktop

Now, ask yourselves this question:

  WHICH drawing can include all others, and be configured (by default)
to emulate any of the other two with the minimum effort thus making
everyone happy?

  Gur nafjre vf gur svefg (rot13)

Its a question of math, saying otherwise is saying you're smarter than
anyone else.

Hugs, rms

+ So let's do it...?