Re: Reducing the number of special uris in gnome

On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 12:45, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 12:33, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> > There is already one place where you can reach everything else,
> > start-here:. There will never be "only one place". I mean, there are
> > subdirs to applications:// that are other places.
>
> No right now there are four seperate uris that are used to launch apps
> (applications://, preferences://, system-settings://,
> server-settings://) I meant one central starting point for launching
> applications in nautilus (of course users should be able to do whatever
> they want ,adding launcher to directories etc., but we should try to
> create a consistent easy to use default).
>

> > > This is similar to mac finder in osx. There is one directory where all
> > > apps (including the macs version of the control-center) is launched
> > > from. I think having doubled functionality is confusing. I'm not the
> > > only one either...
> >
> > Yes. In gnome this is start-here.
>
> No it isn't, it's applications://. (That was the whole point of the
> vfolder method right, lets us created this one location for launching
> all apps that is not hardcoded to a central location though).
>

> > So you want to expose the fact to users that our settings dialogs are in
> > fact applications?
>
> Seth already made this decision when he put preferences in the
> applications menu (and therefore in the applications:// directory).
>
> (applications://Preferences, applications://system)
IMHO this will confuse most users.  What is really the difference
between Preferences and system?

Please do not put two entries under applications that deal with Settings
( System and Destop Preferences ).

below is my suggestion:
applications://Preferences/Desktop