Re: Reducing the number of special uris in gnome

On 28 Jun 2002, Dave Bordoley wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 12:05, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > I agree that having the up arrow work would be nice. It seems that is
> > basically all you want?
>
> What I want is for there to be only one "This is the place I go to
> launch applications" directory (applications://).

There is already one place where you can reach everything else,
start-here:. There will never be "only one place". I mean, there are
subdirs to applications:// that are other places.

> This is similar to mac finder in osx. There is one directory where all
> apps (including the macs version of the control-center) is launched
> from. I think having doubled functionality is confusing. I'm not the
> only one either...

Yes. In gnome this is start-here.

> Note: I'm not inherintantly against a start-here: type directory. What
> i'm against is ten different places to do the same thing. (ex. Launching
> apps).
>
> Imho a better start-here implementation would look something like:
>
> start-here => applications directory launcher
>            => file-system directory launcher
>            => package management directory launcher (this would be cool)
>            => favorites directory launcher (I have some cool thoughts
> here)
>
> but this is getting very star-trek futurish.

So you want to expose the fact to users that our settings dialogs are in
fact applications?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a deeply religious alcoholic firefighter possessed of the uncanny powers
of an insect. She's a strong-willed wisecracking fairy princess operating on
the wrong side of the law. They fight crime!