Re: libgailutil.so.16 -> libgailutil.so.17

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, James Henstridge wrote:

> Should we start looking at ELF symbol versioning?  It is designed to
> handle this sort of issue -- not bumping the soname (which breaks old
> apps), but allowing newer apps to exit immediately if the library
> doesn't contain the required version nodes.

Well, should we get into ELF versioning then not for this particular case.
In this case we should just make sure all future backwards compatible
versions (starting with a reroll of the latest release) call themselves
by sonmae either:
	* libgailutil.so
or
	* libgailutil.so.16

and distibguish the first incompatible library in another way and switch
it to using a proper major/minor versioning aswell.

> James.
>
> --
> Email: james daa com au              | Linux.conf.au 2003 Call for Papers out
> WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/ |   http://conf.linux.org.au/cfp.html

	Sander

	This is the place where all
	the junkies go