Re: libgailutil.so.16 -> libgailutil.so.17

Sander Vesik wrote:

On 26 Jul 2002, jacob berkman wrote:

I think you'd want to do this if you added API, would you not?
i wouldn't.  that would mean apps/libs having to be re-linked against
the new lib, which breaks bin compat for all libs above me.

Why would you link to the so.xy and not to the .so ? As there are no
minor/micro versions in teh numbering, libgailutil will need to become
libgailutil2 (or 3 or ...) when incompatable chanegs are introduced.
Should we start looking at ELF symbol versioning? It is designed to handle this sort of issue -- not bumping the soname (which breaks old apps), but allowing newer apps to exit immediately if the library doesn't contain the required version nodes.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au              | Linux.conf.au 2003 Call for Papers out
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/ |   http://conf.linux.org.au/cfp.html