Re: GNOME 2.0 feedback

On 23 Jul 2002, Luis Villa wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 09:05, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> > > Personal offenses aside, is it a UI bug that the window thumbnail moves,
> > > but not the window?
> >
> > What do you mean? If you drop the thumbnail in the same workspace the
> > thumbnail will return to the previous position.
>
> But there is no visual indication that will happen. In all other
> particulars, there is a mapping between representation on the desktop
> and representation in the switcher. That this mapping of desktop to
> switcher breaks unexplainably when you're clicking and moving is
> confusing at best. If you don't think that functionality should be in, I
> guess that's fine, but it shouldn't break the visual metaphor by
> allowing the window-representation to move without moving the real
> window.

You are not being very constructive here.

There are two fundamental operations you could do in the pager. Move
windows, and move windows between workspaces. Since moving windows
normally is possible in several other ways, all of them better than trying
to position a window in 20x20 pixels, I chose to focus on the other
operation, which in fact the is one of the few and better ways to
accomplish this operation.

In order to make this operation easier to use I chose to not support the
first operation, as this makes it easier to put the window on a sane
position on the other workspace (presumably the window manager already put
it on a sane position on the original workspace).

But in order to make people understand that dragging the window is even
possible I made the window follow the mouse when you start dragging it
(in typical dnd fashion). You claim this breaks the windows methaphor and
is confusing, I claim it is needed to understand the dang thing at all.
How do you propose it should work?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a time-tossed umbrella-wielding househusband whom everyone believes is
mad. She's a strong-willed thirtysomething archaeologist who inherited a
spooky stately manor from her late maiden aunt. They fight crime!