Re: GNOME 2.0 feedback

On 23 Jul 2002, Bruce Robert Pocock wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 09:07, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > What do you mean? If you drop the thumbnail in the same workspace the
> > > thumbnail will return to the previous position.
>
> My thought was: if I drag the thumbnail/icon, nothing happens on the
> screen, but the thumbnail appears to be moving... in earlier versions,
> the thumbnail and the "real" window were in sync.
>
> Playing with it a bit, I'm withdrawing the first-blush opinion that this
> was a UI inconsistency, though; it does seem to operate pretty
> naturally, unless you come to it with the expectations I had from 1.4.
>
> > > Do you mean that if you drag a window from another workspace into the
> > > current one the window should appear?
> >
> > Before you release the drag button i mean.
>
> Actually, some kind of "hint" would be nice. I hadn't actually thought
> of that :-)
>
> In a perfect universe of unlimited resources, I'd think about having
> e.g. a "shadow window" of partial opacity, or even just a grey
> rectangle, show where the window would be dropped... but the effort
> seems greatly disproportionate to the potential reward. I'll add that to
> my list of "wouldn't it be neat-o to beat up on Aqua" :-)

An outline perhaps, but that's still somewhat hard to do.

Another thing that may help the usability of the pager would be if the
window you moused over prelighted in the pager. This way it might be
easier to pick the right window. Right now it can be hard for small
windows.

Some sort of zooming would perhaps work too, but it sounds a bit hard to
get right. I mean, where do you zoom it to? and when?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a fiendish white trash paramedic possessed of the uncanny powers of an
insect. She's a wealthy insomniac bounty hunter from a family of eight older
brothers. They fight crime!