Re: Control Center Behavior

Malcolm Tredinnick <malcolm commsecure com au> writes:
> > Of course we should use hidden prefs and the occasional compromise and
> > so on to keep developers comfortable in the environment. But IMO we
> > are after users who are entirely silent in all online hacking forums.
>
> I was with you right up until that last part, Havoc (and that is the
> reason for this post). A disturbing trend has formed is that of viewing
> what you call "developers" are to be accomodated via work arounds and
> are not in the main target group. I would much rather they were
> considered to be a primary audience as much as the other categories of
> users.

You can't have multiple primary audiences. ;-) A priority list is
numbered 1, 2, 3, not 1, 1, 1. The ranking is used when there are
inherent conflicts between groups and you can't find a way to resolve
them.

Some developers will claim they should be priority #1. IMHO those
people are effectively advocating that we remain niche software, and
let Microsoft win.

> While more advanced users _can_ use work arounds in extreme
> cases, why should we have to? After all, the current medium and advanced
> users user GNOME _now_ -- not in some hypothetical future. Keeping them
> on the radar during design discussions is surely not too hard to do.

Of course they should be on the radar; when we can make everyone happy
we will.

Havoc