Re: parallel-install desktop packages

On 18 Jan 2002, jacob berkman wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-01-18 at 01:39, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > I'm just about done compiling the Alpha release (8 packages shy, give or
> > take).  However, I realized one thing that's going to make this messy.
> > While all of the library release packages can be parallel installed
> > quite easily, this isn't the case for the desktop packages, such as
> > gnome-core, and gnome-utils.
> >
> > So, now for the questions.  Should we attempt to make these capable of
> > being installed in parallel with their GNOME 1 counterparts?
>
> for some things it makes sense, for others, it doesn't.
>
> for example, both versions of glade need to be installed concurrently.
> however, users don't need 2 versions of gedit.

No - you need to be able to uninstall either of teh desktops without
harming the other. Otherwise we might not bother about parallel install
anyways. Doing it only just so developers can develpo for gnome2 on
gnome1.4 is a pretty losing proposal.

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding