Re: parallel-install desktop packages

On Fri, 2002-01-18 at 01:39, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> I'm just about done compiling the Alpha release (8 packages shy, give or
> take).  However, I realized one thing that's going to make this messy.
> While all of the library release packages can be parallel installed
> quite easily, this isn't the case for the desktop packages, such as
> gnome-core, and gnome-utils.
>
> So, now for the questions.  Should we attempt to make these capable of
> being installed in parallel with their GNOME 1 counterparts?

for some things it makes sense, for others, it doesn't.

for example, both versions of glade need to be installed concurrently.
however, users don't need 2 versions of gedit.

> If so, how
> do we go about doing that?  Do we simply install into another prefix?

this is the only real option if you want both installed.

> How do we get people a new GNOME_PATH, which they'll likely need if
> things are in a different prefix?

you need to set quite a few variables:

PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, GNOME_PATH, PKG_CONFIG_PATH,
LIBGLADE_MODULE_PATH, ACLOCAL_FLAGS, GTK_MODULE_PATH off the top of my
head.

jacob
--
"In fact, can you imagine anything more terrifying than a zombie clown?"
	-- moby