Re: GNOME 2.0 Desktop 'Alpha' Release
- From: Laszlo PETER <Laszlo Peter ireland sun com>
- To: jacob berkman <jacob ximian com>
- Cc: GNOME Desktop Hackers <desktop-devel-list gnome org>, GNOME Hackers <gnome-hackers gnome org>
- Subject: Re: GNOME 2.0 Desktop 'Alpha' Release
- Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:05:48 +0000
jacob berkman wrote:
> > Actually, there are a lot of absolute paths fixed in the binaries at
> > build time. For example:
> > - locale directory
> > - icon/pixmap directory
> > - configuration files ($prefix/etc, $prefix/share)
> > It would be nice to change these to relative paths based on the location
> > of the binary or some magic environment variable.
> the infrastructure (GNOME_PATH and gnome_program_locate_*) are there - i
Yes, but what can we do lower down in the food chain?
E.g.: bindtextdomain calls in glib, bonobo-activation, or the mime database
location in gnome-vfs.
Some packages already use their own environment variables like gconf.
Bonobo-activation uses GNOME_PATH and it's own code to locale the
What is the preferred method?
> guess someone just needs to step up and fix everything (ie, someone who
> wants relocatable packages).
I can start sending patches as soon as we agree on how to do this.
] [Thread Prev