Re: gnome panel 2 background

And Mark said:

> >      What's currentyl there is completely borken :-)

>         Yes, this is more or less the solution George suggested and
> will get done in time :-)

And Alex said...

> The idea is to have a Pixmap of the current background, and send the xid
> of the pixmap and the offsets in it to the applet when the background
> changes.
>
> I have some extensive changes to PanelWidget planned which will change all
> this and make it work more like normal Gtk+ widgets.
>
> / Alex

Whoa there,

I am not sure having the Panel export pixmaps/do special panelly
weirdness for its background is a good idea...  In previous discussions
with Panel2 folks I emphasized that the Panel needed to be
theme-compliant...  If so then the Panel applets should get their
background info (including pixmaps) from the theme!  Alex, if
theme-compliance is one of the ways you have in mind that Panel should
be more like normal GTK+ widgets, then that's great.

I think that having the Panel do significantly non-GTK+-ish things for
its rendering is a bad idea.   It's certainly a nightmare for
accessibility.  And surely if I change my desktop GTK+ theme via gtkrc,
I would want to panel to play along...

-Bill